Friday, August 1, 2008

Chicken dance

Well, I didn't wake to the roosters, but I surely heard them once I was awake. Last night one of the house cats made her way to my top bunk and kept me company (I miss my kitties!)  so I could get a solid five hours before getting up absurdly early to secure a shower before my seven housemates. I'm not completely a morning person, but the palette of colors outside the window at dawn was worth it. Everything is so absolutely green or gold.

The chickens are hilarious. I stepped on to the porch to see what all the commotion was about and found about 20 hens, one full-sized immaculately white rooster, and a tiny yellow rooster with black tail feathers whose cry sounds more like a funny little song. His name is Pedro and he is quite bold, especially at feeding time. I thought there would be a riot when the shelter staff told the feathered crowd that feeding time was over. 

For now, I'm city-girl-giddy over just about everything. 

No comments: